As a transition coach, I support autistic young adults with the transition to college and college success.
My coaching practice follows the tenets of person-centered planning and self-determination. I encourage the young adults to share their goals and provide space for families to share their vision for the future. Together, we discuss opportunities and barriers while developing a plan. Let's get started here!
- BA Elementary/Moderate Special Needs from Boston College
- Masters Degree in Moderate Special Needs education from Boston College
- Masters Degree in Special Education, Autism Spectrum Disorder from University of Kansas
- Graduate certificate in Secondary Special Education and Transition also from the University of Kansas
- Supported students with learning disabilities at the American International School in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
- Orton-Gillingham certification from Massachusetts General Hospital
- Classroom teacher for over 10 years
-Student Support Specialist
I have presented at local, national, and international conferences with colleagues on supporting autistic young adults and identifying autism-specific college support programs. I participate as a practitioner in the College Autism Network and created the Autism-Specific College Support Programs Database with colleagues Brett Ranon Nachman and Dan Burger.
My research is published in Teaching Exceptional Children, Autism Spectrum News, and the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
Katie Tobin McDermott
Copyright © 2023 McDermott Autism Services, LLC - All Rights Reserved. Original Artwork by Kristy Lankford Illustration